This article was updated and edited on 05/03/2021, following the arrival of Avengers: Infinity War on the subscription streaming platform (SVoD).
All the films of the universes Marvel, Star Wars, Disney and Pixar are not yet sure Disney+. The tricolor catalog is more limited than that of some other countries for a simple reason: media timeline.
This French peculiarity imposes on SVoD platforms a long broadcasting time between the release of films in the cinema and their broadcast in streaming. It is a legal constraint from which they cannot derogate.
The media timeline at a glance
Each broadcast mode (television, streaming on demand or by subscription …) has a dedicated operating window. To put it simply, the chronology of the media sets a deadline for each one to respect before being able to propose a film in its offer.
Here are the deadlines in effect today, although that could change soon. SVoD services should soon have new funding obligations for French creation. In return, a favorable revision of the media chronology is quite possible.
- DVD or VoD : 4 months (three months if the film has made less than 100,000 admissions)
- Canal+ et OCS : 8 months (six months if less than 100,000 entries)
- Pay-TV channels specializing in cinema: 17 months (or 15 months)
- Free channels (general or specialized): between 20 and 30 months, depending on the antenna’s participation in the financing of the creation and the results in theaters
- Paid streaming platforms: Between 17 and 36 months according to the criteria mentioned below. In the case of Disney +, Netflix, or Prime Video which do not (yet) participate in the financing of French creation, the deadline is 36 months.
- Free streaming platforms: 42 months (or 44 months)
Star Wars movie release dates
The dates given are indicative, most have not been confirmed by Disney. However, it is likely that the firm will not wait more than the minimum deadline imposed to add the following feature films to the catalog.
- Solo : A Star Wars Story – June 2021
- Star Wars Episode IX : L’Ascension de Skywalker – December 2022
- The Incredibles 2 – June 2021 at the earliest
- Ralph 2.0 – January 2022 at the earliest
- Toy Story 4 – June 2022 at the earliest
- Frozen 2 – November 2022 at the earliest
- Forward – March 2023 at the earliest
- Avengers : Infinity War – available in the catalog since April 30, 2021.
- Ant-Man and the Wasp – July 2021 at the earliest
- Captain Marvel – March 2022 at the earliest
- Avengers : Endgame – April 2022 at the earliest