Article updated on 04/29 – President Emmanuel Macron began to unveil his schedule for reopening businesses, and ending the curfew and reinforced measures during an interview with the regional press on April 29, 2021. This “deconfinement” if we can say so will take place in 4 stages:
- From May 3: travel between regions will once again be authorized and the 10 and 30 km limits will disappear. The curfew will remain in effect
- May 19: the curfew will be reduced from 7 to 9 p.m. The terraces of cafes and restaurants may reopen (6 people max per table), as well as shops, cinemas, museums or theaters but will have limited gauges
- June 9: the curfew will be changed from 9 p.m. to 11 p.m. Cafés and restaurants will be able to accommodate indoors (always 6 people max per table), sports halls will be able to reopen and teleworking will be made more flexible. The sanitary pass will also come into force, not only for travel but also to govern access to major events hosting a large public (see our article on the health pass for more information).
- June 30th : The curfew and restrictions will all be lifted, except for discos which will remain closed. The health pass will remain in effect for all events involving more than 1,000 people.
As a reminder, since April 3, 2021, the reinforced measures in place in certain departments have been extended to the entire metropolitan territory and remain active. Police checks have also been stepped up. Here is what you need to know about the measures currently in force in France and the certificates for traveling during the day or during curfew if you are forced to do so.
Curfews and measures during the day throughout France
During this period of reinforced measures during the day and curfew in the evening, leisure trips during the day more than 10 km from his home are prohibited and non-essential businesses closed, but there are many exceptions such as bookstores, record stores, hairdressers and quite a few other traders. Inter-regional travel is also prohibited, except for compelling or professional reasons. Moreover, the government is asking companies that can to make maximum use of teleworking.
While most schools have reopened their doors to children, high schools continue distance learning until May 3. Assistance can currently be granted to the most modest families whose children can no longer eat in the canteen and taking their child to a relative more than 10 km from home is now one of the overriding reasons authorized.
Finally, the curfew also remaining in force throughout the territory, it is still forbidden to move between 7 p.m. and 6 a.m. Consequently, the two derogatory certificates available since the beginning of April are still valid. One is dedicated to curfews, the other to daytime restrictions. You will find them in the “Where to download certificateslater in this article. We will also explain how to use them depending on your situation.
How certificates work
There are some subtleties now in the use of attestations. As said above, the curfew continues and the day’s restrictions apply throughout mainland France. It is still forbidden to go out for shopping, walking or playing sports during curfew hours. If you are forced to travel between 7 p.m. and 6 a.m., you will need to bring yourself of the certificate for the curfew.
But during the day, there is a second certificate to be used in certain cases. This certificate is to be used when traveling more than 10 km from home. Less than 10 km, no need to use it, at least if you have proof of address with you. Otherwise, the certificate will be compulsory to avoid a fine in the event of a police check. Note that the purchase in stores is authorized within the limit of your department of residence.
Regarding the practical operation of certificates, this remains unchanged. You have to download the derogatory certificate then print it on paper or copy it by hand on free paper (using a pen and not a pencil), fill in the requested information, date it and then sign it.
Where to download certificates
The two derogatory certificates, whether for travel during the curfew or during the day, are available for download on the website of the Ministry of the Interior. Avoid others at the risk of obtaining an invalid, chargeable or even infected certificate. To download them via the official website, follow the link below:
People returning from work or forced to travel for work during curfew or more than 10 km from home during the day can use another certificate to be printed and completed by the employer. Click below to download it:
Finally, to pick up your children from school during curfew or more than 10 km from your home during the day, you will need the certificate below, to be printed and completed by the school. :
Certificate on smartphone
If you don’t have a printer, you can generate digital version for smartphone the derogatory certificate (either the curfew version or the “reinforced measures” version during the day) via the generator designed by the government. You can access it by following the link below, simply click on the appropriate context to display the associated patterns:
Note that derogatory certificates are also available via the TousAntiCovid application, to be downloaded below. Do not hesitate to read our dedicated guide in which we describe the steps to carry out the attestation on a smartphone or with TousAntiCovid and we give you practical tips.
Tousanticovid is the application set up by the French government during the coronavirus pandemic. It provides information on the situation, makes it possible to create travel certificates, and, above all, to identify contact cases.
- Downloads: 3011
- Release date : 28/04/2021
- Author : French Government
- Licence : Free software
- Operating system : Android – iOS iPhone / iPad
Reasons for authorized travel
The reasons for travel authorized during the curfew are as follows:
- Journeys between home and place of work (or place of education / training).
- Compelling health reason (going to the hospital for example)
- Compelling family reason or assistance to a vulnerable loved one (in a situation of dependency, disability, childcare …)
- Judicial or administrative summons
- Missions of general interest
- Outings for the needs of pets within a radius of one kilometer around the home
- Long distance trips
The reasons for travel authorized during the day are identical, but the following reasons must also be added:
- Do your shopping and go to authorized shops in your department
- Play sports or walk within a radius of 10 km around your home, without time limit but only during the day
- Participate in gatherings authorized, especially in places of worship or demonstrations
- Go to certain cultural places (media libraries, libraries)
- Carry out administrative or legal procedures, or attend a meeting
- Take their children to a relative located more than 10 km from their home or in another region (compelling reason)
- Go to a wedding, a baptism or a funeral more than 10 km from home (compelling reason)
On the other hand, travel outside its region is prohibited, except for compelling or professional reasons. There is also a 30 km tolerance for people living on the edge of another region. Finally, note that outdoor gatherings of more than 6 people during the day are prohibited throughout the country.
The risks in the event of non-compliance with the restrictions
Those who violate the curfew or reinforced measures without valid reason during the day will be subject to a fine of € 135 the first time, 200 in the event of a repeat offense within 15 days and € 3,750 as well as six months’ imprisonment in second recurrence.
Travel in Europe and outside the EU
Travel within Europe and outside the EU is prohibited, except for compelling or professional reasons. If necessary, you should have in your possession a negative PCR test carried out less than 72 hours before departure (see our article on the health pass) and complete a sworn statement certifying that you do not have any symptoms of Covid 19. Here is where to download the template:
To learn more about this, go to the website of the Ministry of the Interior. In general, be sure to take with you any document attesting to the purpose of your trip.
Read also :